[Haskell-cafe] Re: Order of Evaluation

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Fri May 9 17:42:30 EDT 2008

Oh, you sure?

<quote src="http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/System-IO-Unsafe.html
">
It is less well known that unsafePerformIO is not type safe. For
example:

      test :: IORef [a]
      test = unsafePerformIO $ newIORef []

      main = do
      	      writeIORef test [42]
      	      bang <- readIORef test
      	      print (bang :: [Char])

This program will core dump. This problem with polymorphic references
is well known in the ML community, and does not arise with normal
monadic use of references. There is no easy way to make it impossible
once you use unsafePerformIO. Indeed, it is possible to write
coerce :: a -> b with the help of unsafePerformIO. So be careful!
</quote>

That's the reason why "f" has sometimes LESS general type than "\x ->
f x" in OCaml.