[Haskell-cafe] runInteractiveProcess and hGetLine on Windows

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 7 16:24:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 08:46 -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:33:23AM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> > David Roundy wrote:
> > > This is the correct behavior (although it's debatable whether kpsewhich
> > > should be outputting in text mode).
> >
> > I think it would be more accurate to say that runInteractiveProcess has
> > an inadequate API, since you can't indicate whether the interaction with
> > the other process should happen in text or binary mode.
>
> I don't see any reason to support text mode.  It's easy to filter by hand
> if you absolutely have to deal with ugly applications on ugly platforms.

If it was only Windows' silly line ending convention I'd be tempted to
agree but we probably want to distinguish text and binary handles
anyway. You get Chars out of a text handle (with some string
ed/decoding) and bytes out of a binary handle. In that case, default
line ending convention is just another thing to throw in with the text
encoding conversion.

Duncan