[Haskell-cafe] runInteractiveProcess and hGetLine on Windows

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed May 7 14:54:42 EDT 2008

David Roundy wrote:
> "\r\n" as newline should die a rapid death... windows is hard enough
> without maintaining this sort of stupidity.

Windows *does* do a number of very silly things. However, Windows isn't
going away any time soon. And personally, I'd prefer it if we could make
it easier to support it in Haskell.

I think a pure function that takes text formatted in any way and
transforms it into some kind of "canonical" form would be a useful
starting point. You'd probably want a platform-specific inverse function
too. (I notice that FilePath manages to work differently on different
platforms, so it's possible.) Currently the only way to do these
transformations is to set the right channel mode at the instant you read
the text. If we had a set of pure functions, you could transform the
text after it's read - even if it's read in the wrong file mode, or you
don't know whether it's text or binary until later.