[Haskell-cafe] Re: Writing an 'expect'-like program with runInteractiveCommand

Graham Fawcett graham.fawcett at gmail.com
Fri May 2 09:55:28 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com> wrote:
> Graham Fawcett wrote:
>

> > I would like to communicate with an external, line-oriented process,
> > which takes a sequence of one-line commands, each returning an
> > arbitrary number of lines, and waits for another command after each
> > response.  So, something like:
> > sendCmd :: (Handle, Handle) -> String -> IO [String]
>  You may need to make some compromises to get this within the realm
>  of the possible, if I understand your objective.
>  - There is no way (at least on UNIX) to know when a read has been posted
>    on the other end of your pipe/socket/pty/whatever...

Yes, and I should have realized this. After my post, I tried writing
the same program in another language, and ran into the same problems.

Thanks very much for the response. I'm going to play with your
example, and see if I can make it work in this case (and if not, I
will still learn from studying it!).

In case it's of interest, I see that E.W. Karlsen wrote a series of
articles (ten years ago!) on using Haskell to manage asynchronous
processes, and included an "expect-like" tool in his UniForM
Workbench:

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~ewk/WB.html

By the way, what I'm trying to do is to interact with a Berkeley XML
database; there's no existing Haskell wrapper for its API, and for
this particular task the cost of writing one is too high. I was going
to interact with the 'dbxml' command-line utility as a poor-man's FFI.
Given the issues you've raised, instead I might use a language that
has an existing DBXML interface, and call that from Haskell (e.g.
Python via MissingPy).

Thanks again,

Graham