[Haskell-cafe] Parsec Expected Type

Paul Keir pkeir at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 17:21:21 EDT 2008

Could tester2 return "some kind of base type", which the two inherit from? I don't know. I'm really only presenting the ugly tester2 function because I'm looking for a Parsec-concordant solution to what appears a simple problem.

What I'd like is to parse either the string "parameter", or the string ":". I'm using 'reserved' and 'symbol' because they seem to correspond well to the concepts in the language I'm parsing. I could try,

tester3 = reserved "parameter" <|> do { symbol ":"; return () }

but that's feels a bit contrived; or I could use 'reserved' twice.

Perhaps I'd express my confusion better if I ask: Why are 'reserved' and 'symbol' different types?

Paul (Haskell Novice)