[Haskell-cafe] Any ideas for "->" (function type) in a simply-typed lambda calculus version of Brett Victor's Alligator Eggs game?

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 10:58:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Benjamin L. Russell
<dekudekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  However, in thinking about how to adapt the game, I am
>  not quite sure how to incorporate the representation
>  of "->" (function type):
>
>  * ???:  "->" (function type)
>
>  What ideas, if any, would anybody have on how "->"
>  (function type) could be represented in a simply-typed
>  lambda calculus version of Brett Victor's Alligator
>  Eggs?

Since color is already taken, how about representing types as skinny
and fat alligators? Functions can then be represented by alligators
with their tails joined together. For example, Nat -> Bool would be
represented as a skinny alligator joined to a fat alligator. A skinny
alligator will only eat anotehr skinny alligator, and then goes to
take a nap (i.e. disappears). That leaves the fat alligator (bool).
Just a sketch but maybe it will help you out!

Justin