[Haskell-cafe] Re: HFuse: ls fails in HelloFS

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:56:03 EDT 2008

On 2008.03.19 02:43:27 -0400, "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> scribbled 0.8K characters:

> On Mar 19, 2008, at 2:12 , Austin Seipp wrote:
>
>> Excerpts from Will Thompson's message of Sun Mar 16 08:37:00 -0500 2008:
>>> Currently the module's name is HFuse.  Presumably it really belongs
>>> under System somewhere; System.Posix.Fuse maybe?  What do folks think?
>>> Are there any guidelines for picking a namespace?
>>
>> I don't think there's any sort of doc on picking a namespace or how to
>> logically name your package modules (would likely be worth writing);
>> for something like this, I would say something under System.Posix.*
>> would be the most appropriate.
>
> Erm, "POSIX" does not mean "Linux and sufficiently similar systems".  FUSE
> is supported by open source Unixlikes, not by POSIX compliant systems in
> general.
>
> --
> brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery at kf8nh.com

Not sure that's a useful distinction to make. Wikipedia says "FUSE is available for Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD (as PUFFS), OpenSolaris and Mac OS X (as MacFUSE)."

Linux, the BSDs, and Solaris are all pretty POSIX compliant, where they have not actually been officially certified by POSIX; OS X Leopard is surprisingly enough, certified - <http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/unix.html> says
"Leopard is an Open Brand UNIX 03 Registered Product, conforming to the SUSv3 and POSIX 1003.1 specifications for the C API, Shell Utilities, and Threads. Since Leopard can compile and run all your existing UNIX code, you can deploy it in environments that demand full conformance — complete with hooks to maintain compatibility with existing software."

Since there's no Filesystem.* hierarchy, what's wrong with System.Posix.FUSE.*? I know of no non-Posix systems that run FUSE...

--
gwern
enigma main Warfare DREC Intiso cards kilderkin Crypto Waihopai Oscor