[Haskell-cafe] build recent(ish) ghc on macos 10.3.9 powerpc?

Rene Wagner rw at nelianur.org
Tue Mar 18 11:03:15 EDT 2008

Hi Uwe,

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 14:04 -0700, Uwe Hollerbach wrote:
> I'm trying
> for now to build ghc 6.6.1 -- so I started by upgrading gcc to 3.4.6.
> That's working. So, with that in place, I went to the "porting ghc to
> a new arch" page and started going through the steps. I'm using a
> laptop running linux as the "host" computer, so that's
> i386-unknown-linux, some Fedora core derivative. It's using gcc 3.4.4.
>
> I think I did all the initial stuff right, but in the section in the
> porting guide where it says to start diving into all the
> subdirectories and do a bunch of "make boot && make", I start getting
> errors, and by the time it says to do that in .../libraries, it just
> croaks.

I did a GHC 6.6 bootstrap for Debian/armel a while ago and ran into some
minor issues with regard to slight inaccuracies in the documentation
and glitches in the GHC build system.

A brief overview of what I did is given in a message I sent to the
debian-arm list. Unfortunately, I never got around to sending a
detailed report upstream :(

http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2007/11/msg00038.html

I don't know how much of that is applicable when building for a
non-linux target, but perhaps it gives you a few pointers.

Alternatively, you could make build logs/error messages available, so we
can perhaps figure out what's going wrong together.

Regards,

Rene

--
Rene Wagner