[Haskell-cafe] "GADT" rhymes with "cat"

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Sun Mar 16 21:01:33 EDT 2008

Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> "GADT" rhymes with "cat". The "d" is silent, like the Danish "godt", or
> the German "Stadt", or the American trademark "Bundt".

As long as you don't pronounce it like "gat" in Dutch and Afrikaans,
which literally means "hole", but also has a vulgar sense which means
anus or ass/arse:

   http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gat

Those who believe that GADTs are unnecessary might appreciate the
guttural pronunciation of "gat": which is something like "chut" where
the "ch" is similar to that in "loch", and for good measure, it rhymes
with "slut" (at least in Afrikaans).  It lends itself well to being
uttered contemptuously.

Since this thread seems to indicate that the pronunciation of GADT is up
for grabs, I propose "gaddit", as in "it's a gaddit, geddit?" or "I
prefer to rely on mipticks[*] and fundeps rather than gaddits".

Anton

[*] Don't tell me that one's not settled yet, either!