[Haskell-cafe] Type system

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Fri Mar 14 17:41:32 EDT 2008

Am Freitag, 14. März 2008 19:50 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
> […]

> Is it because Haskell is used by more PhDs? Is it because Haskell
> actually allows you to implement constructs that are impossible in other
> languages? Is it because Haskell really provides greater type safety? Is
> it something else?

Haskell’s type system gives you greater type safety, i.e., it allows to
statically check certain properties which cannot be statically checked in
other languages.  It also improves code reuse in certain cases.  For example,
the Control.Monad module works for all monads (lists, I/O actions, etc.)
which is only possible because of constructor classes, at least, if you don’t
want to introduce dynamic typing.

> […]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang