[Haskell-cafe] Termination of substitution

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 13 04:54:03 EDT 2008

As Stefan says, System Fw is strongly normalising.  This is a remarkable result because (as you observe) it's very non-obvious how to prove it.

However GHC goes beyond Fw by adding
        data types
        letrec
This blows strong normalisation out of the water.  (Assuming you have reasonable rules for case and letrec.)  But perhaps if you restrict data types a bit, and place draconian restrictions on letrec (e.g. never inline one) you could retain strong normalisation. It depends how much you want your rules to do.

GHC's simplifier deals with the letrec problem by cutting each recursive loop -- see the paper "Secrets of the GHC inliner".  GHC doesn't solve the data type problem at all -- you can make the Simplifier loop if you try.

Simon