[Haskell-cafe] [GSoC] A data parallel physics engine

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 12 19:40:40 EDT 2008

Bas van Dijk wrote:

> A bit offtopic but slightly related:
> I just added a GSoC project proposal about adding a nVidia CUDA
> backend to Data Parallel Haskell:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1537
>
> It would be great if this physics engine or matrix library could run
> on a CUDA enabled nVidia "graphics" card!

As Don said, we're working on that. However, this is a lot more work
than just a summer project. The reason is that you can't run arbitrary
NDP computations on the GPU, just a fairly restricted subset. This means
that you need to decide what to put on the GPU during code generation
which, in turn, means a significant amount of compiler hacking. It's
really more than enough work for a PhD thesis.

Roman