[Haskell-cafe] [GSoC] A data parallel physics engine

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:08:07 EDT 2008

2008/3/12 Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org>:
>  It would be a shame to ...miss the very important point that a
>  matrix is nothing more than a linear transformation between finite
>  dimensional spaces.

I rate this obvious seeming fact as one of the most important things
I've learnt about numerical linear algebra in my career. The number of
times I've seen (and...oops...written it myself) code that copies data
out of some structure into some standard matrix structure when the
original structure could itself have been seen as a function that
transforms vectors is scary. It pays to think functionally.
--
Dan