[Haskell-cafe] File I/O question

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 12 17:03:27 EDT 2008

Don Stewart wrote:
> Hey Andrew,
>
> What are you trying to do? Read and write to the same file (if so, you
> need to use strict IO), or are you trying something sneakier?

I have a long-running Haskell program that writes status information to
a log file. I'd like to be able to open and read that log file before
the program has actually terminated. I have a similar program written in
Tcl that allows me to do this, since apparently the Tcl interpretter
doesn't lock output files for exclusive access. Haskell, however, does.
(This seems to be the stipulated behaviour as per the Report.) If
there's an easy way to change this, it would be useful...