[Haskell-cafe] Re: (flawed?) benchmark : sort

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 09:57:55 EDT 2008

Derek Gladding wrote:
> Speaking as someone who often has to answer questions along the lines of
> "why isn't my code generating the results I want on your system?", I
> wouldn't call it evil, just "commonly mistaken for Real".

Yes, of course.

Double is an excellent example since it indicates that there exist types
for which Ord (and Eq) instances are not quite sensible, but nonetheless
we want them to exist because it is a real pain if they don't. (Or at
least, we definitely want Ord. It's easier make the argument that we
don't really want Eq)

Jules