[Haskell-cafe] Functional programmer's intuition for adjunctions?

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Tue Mar 4 13:45:59 EST 2008

Well, we have at least one very useful example of adjunction. It's
called "curry". See, if X is some arbitrary type, you can define

type F = (,X)
instance Functor F where
     fmap f (a,x) = (fa,x)
type G = (->) X
instance Functor G where
     fmap f h = \x -> f (h x)

Now, we have the adjunction:

phi = curry
phiInv :: (a -> (X -> b)) -> ((a,X) -> b)
phiInv = uncurry