[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell on ARM (was Re: ANN: Topkata)

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Fri Jun 27 14:58:53 EDT 2008

At Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:57:29 +1000,
Jeremy Apthorp wrote:

> Next year I'll be working on a project for my undergraduate computing
> course at UNSW that will involve getting GHC to target the Nintendo
> DS. It'll require cross-compilation, because the DS isn't powerful
> enough to actually run GHC (4M main ram and a 66MHz processor).

Cool!

By cross-compilation, I assume you mean, a version of GHC which runs
on x86, but generates ARM assembly? Another option might be to use a
nintendo DS emulator which has been configured to support more RAM and
CPU power ?

A true cross-compiler would be nice though, because it will run much
faster. GHC does have some support for cross-compilation, but in the
current implementation, it is mostly (entirely?) there for
bootstrapping. I have no idea how the ghc backend rewrite for 6.10
will affect this.

Hope this helps,
j.