[Haskell-cafe] ghc-HEAD: build succeeds, but install fails with linker errors?

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 08:20:43 EDT 2008

On 2008.06.26 03:00:27 -0400, Reid Barton <rwbarton at math.harvard.edu> scribbled 1.4K characters:
> I'm trying to install GHC from the darcs repository for the first
> time, so I'm hoping someone here can tell me if I'm doing something
> wrong before I bother cvs-ghc.
>
> I'm currently running ghc 6.8.2 on Debian x86 Linux.  Following the
> instructions on the wiki, I put the following in a file and ran it:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> darcs get --partial http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc
> cd ghc
> chmod +x darcs-all
> ./darcs-all get
> sh boot
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/ghc-HEAD
> make
> make install
>
> but during the "make install" step I get the error
>
> ../../compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace -no-user-package-conf -o ghc-pkg.bin -H32m -O  -cpp -Wall -fno-warn-name-shadowing -fno-warn-unused-matches -package Cabal -Rghc-timing  -package unix -package containers       Main.o Version.o CRT_noglob.o
> Main.o: In function `s7AP_info':
> (.text+0x1d): undefined reference to `prettyzm1zi0zi0zi0_TextziPrettyPrintziHughesPJ_Str_con_info'
> {- hundreds of similar errors (not all from the pretty package, some from base and others as well) -}
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> <<ghc: 50428432 bytes, 6 GCs, 131072/131072 avg/max bytes residency (1 samples), 31M in use, 0.00 INIT (0.00 elapsed), 0.07 MUT (0.55 elapsed), 0.02 GC (0.02 elapsed) :ghc>>
> make[2]: *** [ghc-pkg.bin] Error 1
> Failed making install in ghc-pkg: 1
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make: *** [install] Error 1
>
> Have I got some of the steps wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Reid Barton

For what it's worth, I've gotten the same exact problem building darcs GHC - innumerable link errors during make install. I haven't figured out what the problem was yet (hadn't gotten around to reporting it yet either). This was on a Hardy Heron Ubuntu/GHC 6.8.2 etc.

--
gwern
football Pine UXO SASCOM Comirex shelter ARDA/DTO industrial NSES Mace