[Haskell-cafe] Two questions regarding Alex/Parsec

Niels Aan de Brugh nielsadb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 13:42:16 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 14:08 -0700, Don Stewart wrote:

> Just a quick question, did you try using the pandoc markdown parser?
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pandoc/0.46/doc/html/Text-Pandoc-Readers-Markdown.html
>
> It'd be useful to know if that was enough for printing and generation
> of wiki content. Though being GPLd, it'd also be nice to have a BSD-ish
> licensed wiki parser/pretty printer.

No, I did not. In fact I didn't know about this project, but it looks
very interesting. I'll definitely go and look at the code.

One of the reasons I started worked on a MediaWikiParser was because I
wanted to use the Haskell language and some of its tools rather than just
read about them. I'm not really interested in making a clone of something
that already exists just for the sake of ideology (although personally
I'm much more fond of BSD-style licenses than of GPL).

On a side note: are there any lexer/parser generators out there I should
be aware of? As mentioned in my original post I've tried using Happy, but
I was unable to understand its very concise error message 'parE'.
It would be really nice to have a tool that generates an AST automatically
(e.g. something like ANTLR).

Regards,
Niels