[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell on ARM (was Re: ANN: Topkata)

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 20:43:45 EDT 2008

Jeremy Shaw wrote:
> If any does attempt to build for the ARM, please, please, please,
> document what you do in the wiki. And, if you do, edit the wiki as you
> go, you definitely won't be able to remember what you did after the
> fact. (Or, at the very least, use some program to capture everything
> you do so that you can refer to it later).
>
> And, finally, I heard vague rumors a while ago that made me think that
> GHC 6.10 might have a pure ANSI-C backend? Is there any truth to this?
> That would make porting much easier if it meant you did not have to do
> steps 1-4.
>
> j.
>
> ps. I would be happy to try to answer any questions if someone tries a
> port. I would still like to run GHC on my 770, and I hope to own an
> iPhone if they fix a few ommisions (bluetooth keyboard support, and
> similar stuff).

I recently acquired the ARM-based Nokia N810 (and <3 it), powered by
Maemo. Running a uname -a on it:

Linux Nokia-N810-42-19 2.6.21-omap1 #2 Fri Nov 16 16:24:58 EET 2007
armv6l unknown

I would love a working GHC implementation on it, if for nothing else
than how awesome it would be. Whether that means using a C back-end or
native compilation doesn't matter to me so much.

I might be one to attempt this, as I know C and ARM-ish asm decently
well and have a powerful desktop to compile on. I have no familiarity
with GHC internals, though. Lastly, I won't have anything like the time
to attempt this seriously until mid-September or so.

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb