[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wrapping FTGL in FFI calls

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri Jun 20 01:16:12 EDT 2008

"Jefferson Heard" <jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been looking for awhile now for a simple way to get truetype
> fonts into my visualizations so I can abandon the hideous GLUT fonts
> and make things that look like they were developed in the 1990s
> instead of back in the days of TRON.  I found FTGL, but I'm mostly a
> Haskell developer these days, and resent having to go back to C just
> to write a simple application.
> So I was wondering if anyone had ever wrapped the FTGL library in
> Haskel FFI or whether those out there who are experts on the FFI
> think at first glance it should be readily wrappable by a rank
> amateur at FFI such as myself.
> http://ftgl.sourceforge.net/docs/html/
Using the FFI is generally straight forward, as long as you can live
with using the IO monad and the C code uses objects (well,
pointers to structs passed as first argument, where's the

Things only depend on the purity of the C code and how high-level you
want your interface to be. In this case, I estimate half an hour if
you're a fast typist. That includes the time needed to read the FFI

signature prohibited.