[Haskell-cafe] Access to Oracle database from Haskell

Alistair Bayley alistair at abayley.org
Fri Jun 20 01:10:41 EDT 2008

> Is there a way of accessing a remote Oracle database by one of the common
> Haskell database interfaces (HaskellDB, Takusen, etc.) ? I tried to get
> unixODBC and Oracle's Instant Client running on a Linux machine, but I'm
> trapped in the notorious error:

Takusen's Oracle backend uses the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) library
directly. I think most Oracle client drivers (ODBC, ADO.Net, etc) use
the OCI. I don't know what the Oracle Instant Client is; I'll assume
that it includes an oci.so or liboci.so. On Windows, with which I am
most familiar, the Oracle client software is all installed in
$ORACLE_HOME, and the OCI library is $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oci.dll. If you
can locate that, then you ought to be able to use Takusen with it.

Alistair