[Haskell-cafe] type constructor confusion

Stephen Howard stephen at enterity.com
Wed Jun 18 15:31:18 EDT 2008

hello list,

HttpMessage.hs:36:20: Not in scope: type constructor or class `HttpRequest'

The troublesome line is the definition of the cookie function at the end
of the code.  I've made HttpRequest and HttpResponse constructors of
HttpMessage as I've sketched out an action that might return either
one.  Given that I thought what I was doing below was defining these as
type constructors (maybe I have my vocabulary mixed up) I don't know why
ghci is returning this error.

module HttpMessage ( HttpMessage(..), HttpRequestMethod(..), cookie ) where

import Data.Map as M

data HttpHeaders = HttpHeaders !(M.Map String String )
data HttpMessage =
    HttpRequest {
        headers        :: HttpHeaders,
        body           :: String,
        request_method :: HttpRequestMethod,
        uri            :: URI,
        http_version   :: Float,
        cookies        :: !(M.Map String String)
    }
    | HttpResponse {
        headers        :: HttpHeaders,
        body           :: String,
        status         :: HttpStatus
    }

data HttpRequestMethod = Get | Head | Post | Put | Delete | Unsupported
String
data HttpStatus = OK | NotFound | NotAuthorized | ServerError

data URI = URI {
    protocol :: String,
    domain   :: String,
    port     :: String,
    path     :: String,
    query    :: !(M.Map String String),
    anchor   :: String
}

cookie :: String -> HttpRequest -> Maybe String
cookie n request = M.lookup n (cookies request)