[Haskell-cafe] Documenting the impossible

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Jun 14 16:58:32 EDT 2008

>  Does anybody think this is a useful idea? If so I'll add a feature request
>  ticket to the GHC Trac. But I want to see if folks like the idea first...

Mmmh.. dont' know. Even Java folks don't allow this kind of creeping
bug and I guess they know why. You never want undefined behaviour at
least when using haskell. Because if that error occurs it's hard to
debug, no I don't like that at all.

May I look at your proposal from another view?
Am I right that you ask for not having to run the "fromJust" code to
save some cpu cycles?

Very simple example :
        let list = [ (a,a*a) | a <- [1..10] ]
        in ..

Now getting the square of 4 (standard)
        fromJust $ lookup 4 list

Removing the fromJust code thingy leads to:

lookupGoodFaith key ((x,v):xs) | key == x = v
                               | otherwise = lookupGoodFaith xs
lookupGoodFaith _ (_,v) = v

Where is the difference? I don't even compare the key of the last list
item, because it must match. So you safe some additional cpu cycles..
The same can be implemented for Data.Map etc..

Marc Weber