[Haskell-cafe] Announce: Fortress talk in New York City

Jeff Polakow jeff.polakow at db.com
Fri Jun 13 10:15:35 EDT 2008

Hello,

There will be a talk on Fortress ( a new OO/Functional language from Sun)
on Wednesday June 25 at 6:30pm in Manhattan.

Abstract:

The Java Programming Language revolutionized programming with two simple
concepts:   "Write once run anywhere", and Garbage Collection.  This led
to a big step up in programmer productivity.  Project Fortress does it
again.    This time we give you multiprocessor performance without
having to code threads, locks, or load balancing.  Can you say "Implicit
Parallelism" and "Transactional Memory"?  We also give you a growable
language (small fixed core), strong static typing (more errors caught at
compile time), and mathematical notation.   This talk will focus on the
strengths of Fortress as a programming language, as well as a deep dive
into implementation issues.

More information is available at http://lisp.meetup.com/59

-Jeff

---