[Haskell-cafe] Re: Fwd: installing happy 1.17

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 7 13:44:48 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 09:36 -0700, Thomas Hartman wrote:
> cabal issue?

Yes and no.

What is happening is that there are several versions of the Cabal
library installed. In particular Cabal-1.3.12 and Cabal-1.5.2. The happy
package uses build-type Custom so cabal-install compiles the Setup.lhs
script. The question is what version of the Cabal library should it use?
The happy.cabal file specifies cabal-version: >= 1.2 so we'd better
respect that. But even then we have several choices. Currently it just
picks the highest one of the remaining choices. In this case that meant
Cabal-1.5.2 -- the latest development version. This version turns out to
have API changes that means that we get a type error when compiling
Setup.lhs. As it happens, if cabal-install had picked one of the other
choices then it would have compiled ok because the 1.2.x and upcoming
1.4.x series do not have those api changes.

The immediate workarounds are:
      * unregister Cabal-1.5.2
      * cabal install happy --cabal-lib-version 1.3.12

Perhaps a better solution is for cabal-install to choose the version of
the Cabal library differently. Of course it has to be within the hard
constraints specified in the .cabal file and on the command line. But
after that perhaps it should prefer the version of the Cabal library
that it itself was built with and at second preference the latest
version in the same major series. The last preference would be as now,
the latest version available.

Sound sensible?

Duncan