[Haskell-cafe] Analysing music

Kenn Knowles kenn at kenn.frap.net
Thu Jun 5 14:46:56 EDT 2008

David Cope's early research seems relevant.  Some LISP code to train a
Markov chain on Bach is available from the web page for his current
class.

http://arts.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope/music206b.html

He eschews higher-order functions; using them, you should be able to
port it to very concise and readable Haskell.  For the musical side of
things, the powerpoint presentations hint at additional data you can
put into your states and transitions to get better results for e.g.
cadences, characteristic embellishments, and melodic arcs.

Hope this is helpful,

- Kenn