[Haskell-cafe] How would you hack it?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Jun 5 01:43:01 EDT 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Andrew Coppin wrote:

> Henning Thielemann wrote:
> > Sounds like a generator for scientific articles. :-)
> > Maybe
> >    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/markov-chain
> >  can be of help for you. It's also free of randomIO.
>
> That certainly looks interesting. Presumably if I train it right, it'll
> figure out that sentences need to start uppercase and end with a
> full-stop, and maybe have a few other punctuation marks thrown in.

If you use different encodings for periods for abbreviations and sentence
ends, this is warranted.

> I'm not sure I trust it to generate valid LaTeX markup, but I can give
> it a try! ;-)

You may not want to construct a Markov Chain for characters but for larger
objects, say words and LaTeX commands. However when it comes to correct
parentheses, a Markov Chain might not be the appropriate tool, but a
grammar.