[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] git-darcs-import 0.1

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Jun 4 12:51:05 EDT 2008

Loup Vaillant wrote:
> 2008/6/3 Darrin Thompson <darrinth at gmail.com>:
>> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Bertram Felgenhauer
>> <bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm pleased to announce yet another tool for importing darcs repositories
>>> to git. Unlike darcs2git [1] and darcs-to-git [2], it's written in
>>> Haskell, on top of the darcs2 source code. The result is a much faster
>>> program - it can convert the complete ghc 6.9 branch (without libraries)
>>> in less than 15 minutes on my slightly dated machine (Athlon XP 2500+),
>>> which is quite fast [3]. Incremental updates work, too.
>>>
>> What's the appeal of this? I personally love git, but I thought all
>> the cool kids at this school used darcs and that was that.
>
> Disclaimer: I'm no expert, this is what I've heard. Anyone please
> confirm or deny the following?

I've never been a cool kid at school, but I switched from Darcs to Git
recently.  I have not regretted it.  Git has quite a few features Darcs
doesn't by now, and there is a little bit (but not much) in the other
direction.  That and the lack of the indempotent merge bug.

Git's interface has really cleaned up in the last year, and it seems to
be well on the way to becoming the defacto DVCS of choice.  Maybe next
week, when it's picked up the last of the superdelegates, we can say for
sure, but of course bzr won't conceed anything at this point....

(OK, so we've had mind-numbing election coverage here in the US for too
long)

I've blogged about this.  http://changelog.complete.org/plugin/tag/git
will get you most of the relevant posts.

-- John