[Haskell-cafe] cabal install fail for happs-hsp-template

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 18:32:21 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 09:42 -0700, Thomas Hartman wrote:
> Can cabal install be made to work for this package?
> *****
> thartman at thartman-laptop:~>sudo cabal install happs-hsp-template
> [sudo] password for thartman:
> cabal: internal error: could not construct a valid install plan.
> The proposed (invalid) plan contained the following problems:
> Package Cabal is required by several packages, but they require
> inconsistent versions:
>   package ghc-6.8.2 requires Cabal-1.2.3.0
>   package plugins-1.2 requires Cabal-1.5.2

The package deps are not actually inconsistent, the problem is that the
current cabal-install dependency resolution algorithm is completely
naive and comes up with an invalid install plan.

I'll let people know when the new dep resolver for cabal-install is
ready (hopefully just a few days now). It should address this issue.

Duncan