[Haskell-cafe] ghc 6.8.2 issue

Galchin, Vasili vigalchin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 01:07:11 EDT 2008

Hello,

      I have been developing new code for the "unix" package. I have run
into what I think are ghc 6.8.2 anomalies but couldn't see a pattern.
Possibly now I do. I have been using the 32-bit x86 ghc binary that I
downloaded from http://www.haskell.org and running on Ubuntu Linux. I am
pretty I can repeat now. Everything is ok until I do "sudo runhaskell
Setup.hs install" which installs a new "unix" package that I just built. Of
course the "intall" installs into /usr/local/lib/unix-2.3.0.0/ghc-6.8.2. The
"install" seems to destroy some ghc compiler state under /usr/local ... This
is of course just a theory. However, once I re-install ghc et. al. from the
binary download then things are ok again. I have tried the ghc re-install at
least 4 times. Hope I am not misleading anybody .. just trying to help!

Kind regards, Vasili