[Haskell-cafe] Cabal + yi + alex problem.

John Dorsey haskell at colquitt.org
Wed Jul 30 14:58:26 EDT 2008

> [problems with cabal install yi]

Curious, I tried this out, on a Debian etch box with GHC 6.8.3.

"cabal update ; cabal install yi --global"
complained about needing alex >=2.0.something and <3.

Then "cabal install alex" happily installed alex version 2.2.  Finally,
"cabal install yi --global" worked fine.

Is something amiss with cabal-install?  Shouldn't it have automatically
installed alex?  Or does it only do that with libraries, by design?

For that matter, "ghc-pkg list | grep -i alex" doesn't list anything,
after I cabal-installed it.  How does cabal verify the prerequisite alex
version?  (Or does it?)

I'm enjoying cabal since I've begun using it, but it's still somewhat
opaque to me.

Regards,
John Dorsey