[Haskell-cafe] www.haskell.org is currently very slow in responding to HTTP requests

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 03:49:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 11:58 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell wrote:
> Currently, www.haskell.org is very slow in responding to HTTP
> requests, taking over a minute just to display the main home page.
> This problem is causing difficulties in displaying options for mailing
> lists or in displaying HaskellWiki pages.
>
> Perhaps the server needs to be rebooted?  Could somebody responsible
> for maintaining the server please look into this issue?  It seems to
> have been persisting for at least about half an hour.  Thank you....

Should now be sorted out for the moment.

We have this recurring problem where a single client can hog all the
download slots. Not using a lot of bandwidth, just taking up slots which
eventually means the number of slots hits the maximum and so no new
connections can be made. I'm not sure how other people configure apache
to avoid this problem. It seems like a really cheap DoS attack so other
apache users must get similar problems and so there must be a solution
somewhere. Sadly, I've not seen anything obvious.

Duncan