[Haskell-cafe] ANN: RandomDotOrg-0.1

Austin Seipp mad.one at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:01:21 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've just uploaded a package to hackage which is an interface to the
random.org random number generator.

For those who don't know, random.org provides random data through the
use of atmospheric noise rather than a PRNG that would typically be
invoked if you were to use the System.Random module or somesuch.

As of current, it can only generate a list of random numbers. However,
random.org also provides an interface to generate random strings,
randomize an input list and a random sequence generator (the
difference being that the sequence generator will not repeat itself,
while the integer one may.)

Would anybody find these interfaces useful? I think the random number
generator alone is pretty nice, but I'm thinking of expanding it in
the future with these other things since they're nice to have if you
want randomness anyway.

You can get it from [1] or just:

 $ cabal install RandomDotOrg

The development repository is tracked using git; you can get yourself
a clone by doing

 $ git clone git://github.com/thoughtpolice/randomdotorg.git

Austin

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/RandomDotOrg-0.1