[Haskell-cafe] Fw: patch applied (ghc): Remove the OpenGL familyof libraries fromextralibs

Jefferson Heard jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 08:38:58 EDT 2008

Yes, same here; don't worry, it's not going away.   It would be nice
to know, though, how many people are using it and what they're using
it for.  I'm using it for information visualization, and slowly
evolving/cribbing together something like the Processing
(http://www.processing.org) framework for Haskell as I do more things.

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz at um.es> wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
>>
>> claus.reinke:
>>>
>>> But neither do I believe the rumour that OpenGL isn't much
>>> used, and forwarding the removal notice gives those users the
>>> opportunity to speak up now if they prefer no gaps in OpenGL presence, or
>>> forever to hold their peace, as they say.
>>
>> I for one have noticed this library *is* actively used. Many of the fun
>> new games that have appeared are using it, in particular.
>>
>> Such as:
>>
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/frag
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/Monadius
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/roguestar-gl
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/rsagl
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/Shu-thing
>>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/topkata
>>
>> The tutorial was also translated to the wiki last week,
>>
>>    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Opengl
>>
>> It's a good, reliable package, in active use, widely ported.
>
> I'd just like to say that HOpenGL is essential for me. It is one of the
> reasons why I finally decided to use Haskell for all my work...
>
> Alberto

I try to take things like a crow; war and chaos don't always ruin a
picnic, they just mean you have to be careful what you swallow.

-- Jessica Edwards