[Haskell-cafe] Libevent FFI problems

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 16:33:01 EDT 2008

2008/7/25 Levi Greenspan <greenspan.levi at googlemail.com>:
> Regarding your remark, that the RTS multiplexes IO already I am usure
> how this works out in practice. The reason I write this wrapper is
> that I want a network server which can handle thousands of
> connections. And to not require a permanent thread for each I would
> like to use something like select in C or Selector in Java. I haven't
> found something like this in Haskell, hence the libevent wrapper. If
> you have any information how to write something like this without this
> wrapper I would be more than happy.

The current model for concurrency in Haskell is m lightweight
user-threads working on n kernel threads, thus the threads are very
cheap in Haskell and take advantage of a multicore. I think with the
current model, the right choice for a web server in Haskell is a
multi-threaded model. As a point of comparison, I remember that blog
post which noted that its FastCGI was able to withstand more than 3000
hits by second (on a quite normal setting).

--
Jedaï