[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Sun Microsystems and Haskell.org joint project on OpenSPARC

Ben Lippmeier Ben.Lippmeier at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 24 20:38:04 EDT 2008

On 25/07/2008, at 8:55 AM, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Right. GHC on SPARC has also always disabled the register window when
> running Haskell code (at least for registerised builds) and only
> uses it
> when using the C stack and calling C functions.

I'm not sure whether register windows and continuation based back-ends
are ever going to be very good matches - I don't remember the last
time I saw a 'ret' instruction in the generated code :). If there's a
killer application for register windows in GHC it'd be something tricky.

I'd be more interested in the 8 x hardware threads per core, [1]
suggests that (single threaded) GHC code spends over half its time
stalled due to L2 data cache miss. 64 threads per machine is a good
incentive for trying out a few `par` calls..

Ben.

[1] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~am21/papers/msp02.ps.gz