[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Sun Microsystems and Haskell.org joint project on OpenSPARC

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jul 24 00:43:59 EDT 2008

On 24 Jul 2008, at 3:52 am, Duncan Coutts wrote:
[Sun have donated a T5120 server + USD10k to develop
  support for Haskell on the SPARC.]

This is wonderful news.

I have a 500MHz UltraSPARC II on my desktop running Solaris 2.10.
Some time ago I tried to install GHC 6.6.1 on it, but ended up
with something that compiles to C ok, but then invokes some C
compiler with option "-fwrapv", which no compiler on that machine
accepts, certainly none that was present when I installed it.

I would really love to be able to use GHC on that machine.

I also have an account on a T1 server, but the research group
who Sun gave it to chose to run Linux on it, of all things.

So binary distributions for SPARC/Solaris and SPARC/Linux would
be very very nice things for this new project to deliver early.
(Or some kind of source distribution that doesn't need a working
GHC to start with.)