[Haskell-cafe] Building NDP with latest GHC

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Jul 22 03:46:24 EDT 2008

Austin Seipp:
> After my last issue with GHC's HEAD, I tried checking it out again and
> getting the patches for the libraries and lo and behold, it worked. So
> now I'm up to date with the latest libraries and the compiler, but it
> appears that building NDP itself is proving to be troublesome.

The NDP libraries are in a state of complete upheaval.  Instead of the
one package ndp, there will be a set of dph packages with different
backends to choose from (initially, there will be two backends, one
for sequential code and one for multicore parallel code).

> If I'm just doing everything wrong, I'd really appreciate knowing and
> I'd be *more* than happy to update the wiki pages so that more people
> can try it and have it build successfuly, because as it stands I'm
> coming to the conclusion that basically all the information in [1] is
> just old and flat-out wrong, and I'm completely of ideas on how to go
> about this.
[..]
> [1] http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Data_Parallel_Haskell/PackageNDP

Due to the completely different new set up, there was no point in
trying to track incremental changes on the wiki page.  Once, the
individual pieces fit together again, we'll update the documentation.

Due to a sequence of problems with GHC's build system and its
increasing Cabal'isation, the library re-arrangement has taken much
longer than originally anticipated.  Sorry about that.

Manuel