[Haskell-cafe] Getting latest GHC-head/libraries takes forever

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 15 20:54:46 EDT 2008

On 2008 Jul 15, at 20:45, Austin Seipp wrote:

> For the purpose of experimenting with NDP I went through the
> process of getting the GHC head from darcs.haskell.org. As
> specified in the developer wiki[1], using darcs get is basically
> not possible because there're so many patches. So I downloaded
>
> http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc-HEAD-2008-06-06-ghc-corelibs-testsuite.tar.bz2
>
> This alone took over *7 hours* using wget because it could never get
> a connection faster than 5kb/s.

FWIW I did manage to get it using darcs (!) having not checked the
wiki to see that it was supposedly impossible these days.  (Well, I
did get --partial.  --all is a definite mistake.)

> I let darcs sit for over another hour and a half trying to pull
> patches
> from darcs.haskell.org for the libraries and the testsuite.
>
> It never got past packages/base. In fact, it never even got to
> *getting* the
> patches from the base repository, it sat there, stuck at the
> 'identifying repository'
> stage (darcs 2.0.2) for over an hour, making my processor go round
> and round at
> 99% CPU usage the entire way, never accomplishing anything. What
> makes it even stranger
> is that it got the latest patches for the testsuite and the array
> package pretty quick.
> It just got permanently stuck on base for some reason and never went
> further.

Mine stopped at array.  That said, it does seem really slow; given
your comment about downloading, this sounds like a problem with
darcs.haskell.org in general.  But it might be worth grabbing darcs1
for Leopard and trying again.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu