[Haskell-cafe] Trying to install cabal

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 14 06:59:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 18:53 -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 2008 Jul 10, at 14:00, Eric wrote:
>
> > I have downloaded cabal and am trying to install it but have gotten
> > the
> > following error message:
> >
> > C:\cabal\cabal-install-0.5.1>runghc Setup configure

Note that Eric is talking about cabal-install, not the Cabal library
package.

> Cabal itself is a special case; you need the same version of Cabal
> already installed to install it via Cabal...

The Cabal library package always bootstraps using its own source code.
It does not need any existing version.

Despite the bootstrapping it is just an ordinary Cabal package. It can
be configured and built in the standard way using runhaskell or
cabal-install.

> Just run "make" to bootstrap it, IIRC.

Though that also works.

Duncan