[Haskell-cafe] Re: QuickCheck [Architecturally flawed]

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 11 14:10:54 EDT 2008

Andrew Coppin wrote:
> After many hours of effort, I came up with these:
>
>  data Writer x
>  instance Monad Writer
>  run_writer :: Writer () -> ByteString
>  write1 :: Bool -> Writer ()
>  write8 :: Word8 -> Writer ()
>  write16 :: Word16 -> Writer ()
>  write32 :: Word32 -> Writer ()
>  write64 :: Word64 -> Writer ()
>  writeN :: Word8 -> Word32 -> Writer ()
>
>  data Reader x
>  instance Monad Reader
>  run_reader :: Reader x -> ByteString -> x
>  is_EOF :: Reader Bool
>  read1 :: Reader Bool
>  read8 :: Reader Word8
>  read16 :: Reader Word16
>  read32 :: Reader Word32
>  read64 :: Reader Word64
>  readN :: Word8 -> Reader Word32

How would you write QuickCheck properties for these?

For starters, what would be a good set of properties to confirm that any
monad is actually working correctly? More particularly, how about a
state monad? It's easy to screw up the implementation and pass the wrong
state around. How would you catch that?

Secondly, the monads themselves. I started writing things like "if X has
the lowest bit set then the lowest bit of the final byte of the output
should be set"... but then all I'm really doing is reimplementing the
algorithm as a property rather than a monad! If a property fails, is the
program wrong or is the property wrong?

In the end, what I opted to do was define various properties where I
take some arbitrary data, write it with the Writer monad, then read it
back with the Reader monad and confirm that the data stays identical.
(This actually fails for writeN, which writes the N least-significant
bits of the supplied data, so you need to apply some masking before
doing equity. Or, equivilently, reject some test values...)

Looking at the QuickCheck paper, it seems I should probably have done
some checking that the size of the output is correct. I didn't actually
bother because it's really easy to get right, whereas strickiness with
bit-shifts and indexing is all too easy to screw up.

What I finally did was try writing/reading with each primitive (to check
that actually works properly), and then again with a random number of
individual bits packed on each side to give random alignment (to check
that the index adjustments actually work right). It's easy to make the
code work correctly with a certain alignment, but fail spectacularly
otherwise. It's packed at *both* ends because it's also quite easy to
make it write out the correct bit pattern, but leave the bit pointer
with the wrong value, causing subsequent writes to screw up.

How would you approach this one? All hints welcomed.