[Haskell-cafe] FPGA / Lava and haskell

Philip Weaver philip.weaver at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 22:05:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:

> Is Haskell still used (in industry as well ?) to write (V)HDL code to
> program FPGAs and create circuits on chips?

Indeed!  Galois maintains a language called Cryptol.  Almost all tools for
this language, including an FPGA compiler that produces HDL, are written in
Haskell.  It is not open source, nor is it free as in beer, but there is a
free academic version without FPGA support.

The Chalmers Lava homepage tells abouta Xilinx version which should be
> merged in soon. But on the xilinx homepage there was no reference to
> neither Lava nor haskell..

As for Lava and the Xilinx version, I am not really sure how actively it is
being developed.  Perhaps someone else here knows?

> I'm thinking about designing a similar tool to www.combimouse.com.

You're going to design something like that with an FPGA in it?  :)

For a simple enough design, it can be useful to write specs in Haskell and
then translate them to HDL by hand.  I believe someone on this list had a
particularly successful experience doing that :).

- Philip