[Haskell-cafe] Compiling GHC 6.8.3 on OS X with readline support

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Mon Jul 7 12:16:55 EDT 2008

> "rlwrap" adds readline support to everything.

Well, yes, see the GHCi wiki for how to augment 'rlwrap ghci' with
some basic completion support (filenames, flags, module names):

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/GHCi#rlwrap_-_what_to_try_when_your_GHCi_was_compiled_without_readline.2Feditline

but is there a way to make rlwrap's completion context-sensitive?

As with bash's complete command, for instance, I'd like to be able
to tell rlwrap that :load wants filenames, while :module wants module
names, and :set wants settable things. If your ghci is readline/editline
enabled, you get quite specific support (or so I gather from the
source code..), while rlwrap seems to throw everything in one pot.

That said, rlwrap is still a good workaround,
Claus