[Haskell-cafe] The state of database libraries

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Fri Jul 4 10:54:55 EDT 2008

Hey everyone,

I'm figuring out how to do databases in Haskell (on OS X). So far,
I've tried the following approaches:

1. hdbc. I'd like to connect to MySQL, so I need the ODBC backend. I
couldn't get this to work under OS X, while I installed myodbc, which
seems to be broken.

2. hsql. The packages on hackage don't compile, so I grabbed the darcs
version. hqsl itself installed perfectly, but when I try to compile
hsql-mysql, it does not recognize that hsql is already installed and
tries to recompile. Compiling fails, so I generated a .tar.gz of hsql
using cabal sdist, put it in the .cabal/packages directory in the
right place, and finally, it does compile. Now hsql-mysql starts
compiling, but it finally fails with:

MySQL.hsc:270:0:
      error: ‘MYSQL_NO_DATA’ undeclared (first use in this function)

MySQL.hsc:270:0:
      error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once

MySQL.hsc:270:0:  error: for each function it appears in.)

So what is the state of hsql? And haskelldb? Are they actively
maintained?

Thanks,
-chris