[Haskell-cafe] GHC ARM Hackathon (Re: Haskell on ARM )

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 14:16:18 EDT 2008

It may not be long before most of the computing world has gone mobile.  CNET
suggests the major players will be Qualcomm and Intel, where QC is more
power-efficient, but Intel conveniently targets x86.

June 29, 2008 7:30 PM PDT
Qualcomm vs Intel: You
decide<%20http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-9979989-64.html>

I'm a software engineer at Qualcomm with a desire to code more Haskell at
work.  This desire will only get stronger in coming years as multithreaded
apps on mobile devices get more popular, and ways to write them reliably in
traditional languages continue not to exist.

Jeremy Shaw said:
> Perhaps we should have some sort of GHC on the ARM hackathon
> when 6.10 comes out

Would anybody be interested in a "GHC on ARM Hackathon" in San Diego this
year?

When is 6.10 estimated to come out?  Do we really need to wait for it?

Jeremy Apthorp said:
> it'll also require that I significantly strip down the runtime system, as
> the current RTS won't fit in 4M

Do you have a plan for how to do this?  Maybe we can invite a Simon to teach
us the innards of the RTS and help guide us?

Thanks,
Greg