[Haskell-cafe] Re: POSIX AIO (asych I/O) ...

Galchin, Vasili vigalchin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 01:42:20 EDT 2008

Hello,

    Haskell 101 question! I discovered that aio_error returns "errno" rather
-1. Of course, my aio_error binding is called before my aio_return binding
(aio calling sequence "protocol"). I have worked on  Posix OS's for quite a
while but am unhappy with non-consistent errno handling ;^(. In any case, I
modified my aio_error binding implementation to have a "AIOCB -> IO Errno"
signature:

aioError :: AIOCB -> IO Errno
aioError aiocb = do
   allocaBytes (#const sizeof(struct aiocb)) $ \ p_aiocb -> do
      poke p_aiocb aiocb
      errno <- throwErrnoIfMinus1 "aioError" (c_aio_error  p_aiocb)
      return (errno)

foreign import ccall safe "aio.h aio_error"
    c_aio_error :: Ptr AIOCB -> IO Errno

"ghc" thinks that "Errno" should be an instance of "Num":

System/Posix/Aio.hsc:117:15:
    No instance for (Num Errno)

Why?

Vasili