[Haskell-cafe] Re: Simple network client

David B.Wildgoose wildgoose at operamail.com
Thu Jan 31 10:33:37 EST 2008

Adam Langley <agl <at> imperialviolet.org> writes:

> On Jan 31, 2008 5:07 AM, Gary Bickford <garyb <at> fxt.com> wrote:
> > Wasn't there a Linux file system (possibly a FUSE user-space one) that
> > worked on writable CDs?  IIRC it worked by marking the previous copy of
> > the file as erased, and writing a new copy.
>
> Probably you're thinking of layering a unionfs over the top. It works
> well in my experience.
>
> AGL

I believe that Sun's ZFS works in a similar fashion to this.  It's a combined
File System and Volume Manager that aims to make (and in my experience succeeds
in making) disk storage handling as transparent as memory storage handling.

It's available for the BSDs, Mac OS X has Read Support for it, but as far as I
am aware it's still only available as a User-Space (FUSE) system on Linux.

DBW