[Haskell-cafe] Implementing fixed-sized vectors (using datatype algebra?)

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Thu Jan 31 09:03:29 EST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008 12:02 schrieb Alfonso Acosta:
> Hi,
>
> The EDSL implementation (system design) I'm working on would really
> benefit from an implementation of fixed-sized vectors.
>
> I thought this would be a generally desired ADT but it turned out I
> wasn't able to find an implementation.
>
> I was thinking about  using  datatype algebra plus GADTs to implement
> a type-level parameter indicating the size of the vector.
>
> I'm a total noob with regard to GADTs and type-level algebra trickery.
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) Do you think it is feasible? Can you think about a better approach?
>
> 2) An implementation of type-level Naturals would really help. What
> has already been done?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fons

Hello Fons,

interestingly, it occured to me yesterday that the graphics part of Grapefruit
would benefit from fixed sized vectors.  I think we should implement some
small Cabal package which just provides this and upload it to the HackageDB.
Are you interested in cooperating with me on this?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang