[Haskell-cafe] anybody can tell me the pronuncation of "haskell"?

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Tue Jan 29 05:06:07 EST 2008

Tim Chevalier(*) writes:

> I think to ease the acceptance of Haskell in the broader world, we
> should just change the name to Schönfinkel.

On the other hand, is better not to try Curry, since the French pronounce
it: Queue-rhrhrheeee. This is for me absolutely inacceptable and scandalous,
since thus, they confuse him with Madame Curie, who was Polish, and I am
a patriot. And after a few years, people from some Other Respectable
Cultures will think that Haskell discovered Radium (for French: Hhhhudiomm).

Thank you for this inspiring and awfully useful discussion.

Jerzy K. (K is pronounced as K, the name of some heroes of Kafka, who was
a Germanophone Czech Jew. Do not confuse his K with another K, by Dino
Buzzati, who was Italian).

===

(*) Pronounced //possibly// as Che Guevara, with Guevara replaced by Valier.
Now, Valier is a mountain in Les Pyrenées,
(http://www.pyrenees-team.com/pteam/photos/valier/valierg/18)
and the first person who climbed it was a bishop. The second one was also
a bishop, so perhaps Tim should be careful.

Some more messages on this subject, and I will have really to call an
ambulance so they can take me away, far from Internet...